Tuesday 26 August 2014

My very first hand-made swap!


I just participated in my very first hand-made swap.  

(Just so you know, I'm almost turning inside out from excitement about this, kind of like an overcooked cocktail frankfurt.)

I just participated in my very first hand-made swap.

(Yes, I know I just repeated myself, but I really need you to appreciate the gravity of this situation.)

I just participated in my very first hand-made swap. 

(Ok, so this is probably starting to get a little boring now, so I promise this will be the last time I say this, buuuuut, now let me get it all out there: as a stay at home mum with two kids, possibly more coming, a house full of cleaning and washing and wiping pooey bums, and then more cleaning and washing, and yes, more pooey bums, accented by sleepless nights, sick children, teething (do you need more??????  Yes? ok then... you asked for it...) cranky children who refuse to play on their own, the constant "Mum? Mum? Mum? Mum? Mum? Mum? Mum?" (to my own dear mother: please forgive me), puzzle pieces everywhere within seconds of me putting them away (I know, right now you're thinking, c'mon, toddler puzzles?  How long would they take to put away, I mean, what 15 pieces, max??  And I would totally have agreed with you prior to having kids but YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO DO FIVE KIDS PUZZLES AT ONE TIME WHEN ALL THE PIECES ARE MIXED UP WITH EACH OTHER!!!!) (And one other thing, I can't be certain, but I think my kids eat puzzles.).  

Ok, breathe in dear.

I just participated in my very first hand-made swap. 

Now, breathe out.  *sigh*

I nearly didn't get to join in the fun, becasue, as usual I came to the party late, but the lovely Kristy of Monkey Mai very graciously let me join in.  Better late than never, I say!  In my head I can hear my husband saying "Better to be never late!"  
Hashtag: whatevs! ;)

But I was very excited to have a go at sewing a fabric basket, as well as try the Noodle-head Divided Basket pattern I've been admiring from afar off for a while now (awesome work Anna!).

Anywho, here it is, in all it's Anna Graham / Heather Ross glory.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and without giving too much away, I thought my secret partner's favourite colours, fabric designers and designs were a nice fit with Heather Ross's Briar Rose range.  Bright and colourful, with a bit of vintage whimsy thrown in for good measure.
















































All the divided baskets I've seen had the same fabric on both outside pieces so I was a little bit worried about using different fabric on each side of the basket - I didn't want it to look all over the place, but I think it helped to use fabric from the same range.  































The pattern calls for 1.5" webbing for the handles but unfortunately my local Spotlight only had ugly colours or cream webbing in that size, so I had to go with the 1" size.  And then I just danced to my own tune for a bit, and added a contrasting strip of fabric down the centre of the webbing.
















































And for a bit more whimsical fun and to personalise the gift a bit, I free-hand embroidered a hexie and hand-stitched it to the outside.  Cute, hey!



































When I was at Spotlight picking up supplies for the basket swap I found these lovelies to make another basket.  

 The gold webbing and the aqua linen practically begged me to take it home.  So I did.  And I think they'll go perfectly with some Verna Mosquera fabric I've been hoarding.  It also spoke to me.  Is this becoming something I should be concerned about?  Sewing supplies speaking to me?










































Not so long as I don't speak back............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home