Tuesday 7 October 2014

Stitch Cut Pin | Baste Sew Trim!


Sometimes... it doesn't happen all that often... but sometimes I surprise myself with how one of my ideas comes together.



For a while now, I've been wanting to cut into some lovely Verna Mosquera Rosewater I've had in my hoard of fabric treasures, but when I really like a fabric I feel a bit antsy about cutting into it.  Silly really, it's only fabric after all.  As my husband says, "They're still making it".  Whoever 'they' are ;)
























































I also had a lovely cross-stitch doily I've been wanting to use in some way, and when I started fiddling with bits and pieces here and there, I realised the doily was the perfect size for a sewing kit.

























So I free-hand embroidered a little rhyme onto the doily "Stitch, cut pin, baste, sew, trim", made a few pockets, including one for some embroidery scissors, added a doily to some felt for a needlebook and whipped up a little pincushion from an old crochet doily I didn't know what to do with.  I have to admit, I'm probably the most happy with the little pincushion.  It's really sweet.

























The pincushion is removeable, and attaches to the sewing kit by wrapping a tie around a little mother of pearl button.  I came up with that one all by myself.  And I'm pretty happy with myself about that hee hee ;)  Perhaps I'll do a quick tutorial on that one next...






































Apologies for my daaaaaaark photos.  It definitely doesn't do the lovely Rosewater justice.  I was playing with the settings on my camera, trying to teach myself how to use the manual functions, and clearly I didn't have enough natural light (again).  But it was the third time I'd downloaded them to my computer and I wasn't going back to try again, because my fabric is calling me and it's time to get started on the other things my brain is thinking up ;)




















1 Comments:

At 8 October 2014 at 12:26 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is absolutely adorable Xanthe. I love the way you've repurposed the doily! And that pin cushion button idea is just genius!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home