Monday 10 February 2014

A new pincushion {Feeling Sentimental}

My Dad passed away on the 22nd of January.  So, as you might expect, life is pretty sad at the moment.  I just returned from my home town of Emerald, where I spent a week with my Mum after the memorial service.  It's times like this that I feel every millimetre of the thousand or so kilometres between the Gold Coast and Emerald, and I really wish I could just get Scotty to beam me up when I need to see my family.

Over the past couple of weeks there have been many tears, sleepless nights, ratty kids and even rattier parents, lots of cuddles and, surprisingly, a significant amount of laughing as we have remembered our Dad, husband and friend.  I loved the time I got to spend with my Mum, siblings and their families.  They were truly precious moments.

I am glad to be home now though.  The kids needed to be home.  I needed to be home.  And I just needed to make something.  Something fast and useful.


I am too embarrassed to show you the pincushion I have been using.  It was sad.  Something I whipped up in a moment of 'I NEED A PINCUSHION NOW!'  But this one… well, it's just lovely.

The cross-stitch was done by my Mum and given to me with all her sewing odds and ends a couple of years ago.  I've wanted to do something with it for ages, but never really found the right use for it.




I'm glad.  Because this was just what I needed.  I was feeling a bit sentimental.

I'm pretty sure the stitching's original purpose was a jam jar cover, but I think this is much nicer.  And less sticky.  Or maybe not…. considering it's a pincushion!





























Pincushions must be the thing to make at the moment - check out this little lovely over at Down Grapevine Lane - Sedef's a magician when it comes to creating!

3 Comments:

At 11 February 2014 at 16:39 , Blogger Sedef @ Down Grapevine Lane said...

Gorgeous pincushion! And thanks for a mention of mine, pincushions are definitely in at the moment! Hugs x

 
At 24 February 2014 at 12:59 , Blogger Xanthe said...

My pleasure Sedef ;)

 
At 4 March 2014 at 22:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

Really lovely. I noticed the anodised coffee canister in the background. Wow that takes us back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home