Saturday 7 May 2016

Yours truly

It's Mother's Day tomorrow, here in Australia.  I always find it's a strange day.  One where I prompt the husband to make sure he's organised.  For the sake of the kids.  Of course ;)  Which makes it feel very contrived and like I'm big-noting myself, because I'm totally rocking this mothering job.

But with 2016 heralding the start of a very long season (only eighteen years to go) of school runs, homework (or, home 'fun' as we call it), assessments, head lice and worms (yes, already) I have felt a little less like SuperMum and a lot more like curling into the foetal position and banging my head against a wall.  Repeatedly.  Like, over and over.

However, while sitting down with my husband this morning to pray, I realised, after a day at home yesterday that consisted of chunky coughs and snotty noses being dragged down my thighs, but also catch-ups with much loved and very dear friends, that I mustn't get caught up in the busy-ness of the school life and just 'doing stuff', and forget about my own friendships.  And without barking on about how I'm a person too and I need this and I need that... well, I am.  And I think I sometimes forget that 'my' person needs to be nourished and refreshed in order to keep going at the break-neck speed that motherhood occurs at, and nourish the little souls I have with me each day.

Now, I'm not talking about taking time out, or 'me time' consisting of a day at a health spa, or spending a handful o' fitties getting some retail therapy.  Although they sound like fantastic things to do and I'm totally in if anyone wants to shout me.  I'm just talking about having a cuppa and conversation with another adult who doesn't feel the need to discuss the colour of their poo with me, OR why there's chunks in it.  (This also includes, much to my dismay, going to bed early.  Earlier.  Not midnight.)

Because, as much as my personality likes to think life is all about achieving things and ticking boxes, it's not.  It's about relationship, and friendship, and spending time, not money.  It's about giving yourself.  And as Rosie says, it's about being a bucket filler, not a bucket dipper.









So, although I reminded husband that tomorrow is Mother's Day (not that I needed to, he had it covered!), and then proceeded to purchase a dress that will tonight be wrapped up and given to me tomorrow morning, at which point I will feign shock and surprise at the amazing choice the children made, I want you to know that I do not feel like I deserve any great accolade on this day.  In fact, I feel like I only just made it.  Hence, the very tongue-in-cheek 'Dear Mummy' phrases I created for this post.  But I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.  This is what I chose, and I wouldn't give it away for anything.  Presents will always be appreciated however.  I love presents.

Finally, I would like to apologise to my own dear Mummy for saying this to you after Evangeline was born.  I now also own a water bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home